Microsoft's original Surface Duo introduced a unique form factor to the mobile phone space. It features two screens and an incredibly then body, even when folded shut. It has since been succeeded by the Surface Duo 2, which builds off the original while having significant improvements across the board. While the Surface Duo 2 is newer and more refined, it is also much more expensive ($1,500). If you'd like to try out Microsoft's dual-screen mobile vision without breaking the bank, you can pick up an original Surface Duo. Right now, it's on sale for $400 through Woot (opens in new tab), though stock is limited.
The discounted model includes 256GB of storage and is locked to AT&T. That means you either have to be on AT&T's network or be willing to switch to get cellular service on the Surface Duo. While it's not the intention of the device, you could pick up the discounted Surface Duo to use as a foldable tablet. The original Surface Duo normally costs $700 on Microsoft's website.
Save on Surface Duo
Microsoft Surface Duo | $350 off (opens in new tab)
The original Surface Duo is a unique device with two screens. It runs Android 10 at the moment but is set to receive an update to Android 11 before the end of 2021. The current discount through Woot is the most affordable way to try out the foldable.
The Surface Duo currently runs Android 10 but is set to receive Android 11 before the end of 2021. Hopefully, that will improve the software experience, which was criticized in Surface Duo reviews. While the software update will likely improve the performance of the device, it's important to purchase tech for what it can do at the moment, not what it could hopefully do in the future. Make sure to check out our coverage of the Surface Duo and Surface Duo 2 before picking either up.
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org (opens in new tab).
I picked another one up in the event Android 11 update bricks the device.
Disappointed Surface Duo 2 isn't offered through AT&T. They must've sold like 10 devices.
Even at this price I still cant bring myself to get one.
Software bugs and support are just too bad to justify a purchase even at a cheap price.
It's my daily driver. There are still a lot of bugs in the device. - Screen doesn't register taps - this happens mostly when you are waking up the device and are touching both screens simultaneously.
- Screen rotation is funky for landscape. In some apps, its upside down. You have to switch the program to the other screen. And then still, the ads in the game are upside down even though the main app is correct.
- Can't swipe notifications on the screens. It takes multiple attempts.
- Can't swipe up to bring up the lock screen. It takes multiple attempts.
- While playing games you get the "Double this screen" bullshit.
- In addition to the above, waking up the device defaults on the wrong screen. You have reset the view by closing the clamshell then unfolding the screen. Multitasking is still fantastic on this device. And the battery life is amazing. Oh and I do the love the screen size and screen resolution. And the hinges to prop this baby up is second to none. There's much to love about the phone. If they fix those issues above, then this device would qualify for best invention of 2021. Buying another one of these phones, let's me hold on to this version until DUO 2 becomes a massive sale cause I am not paying full price for v2 of the same thing.
would be interested at maybe $100 to play around with
Wow 400 for the 256gb model. Great deal. I have the 128 model its my daily phone for work. I really love the multitasking feature.
I got the 128 gb locked ATT for 389 which was still a good deal, and unlocking it only took three days through Microsoft. they have a dedicated surface duo team that unlocks these devices. Its very simple and now I have an unlocked duo saved a ton of cash and its still a good foldable phone.
2nd duo has issues (many of them from the 1st one) and yeah 2nd one has better specs, the 1st one is still supported for two more years, and is still a capable phone.
Can you point me in the right direction (URL or phone number) for getting Microsoft to unlock the device?
support.microsoft.com. Look for surface support. it is through a chat explain to them you need to unlock your surface duo 1 they will get you to the right people and get you the process to unlock it
That’s a big help to me, thanks!!!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.