Microsoft will release firmware updates for nearly all of its Surface family of tablets today, including the new 12-inch Surface Pro 3, which will get another update later this month.
Here's the change log for the Surface Pro 3 July 8 firmware:
- Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v.188.8.131.52) reducing power consumption, and enhancing system stability.
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v. 184.108.40.206) enhancing battery life, and increasing efficiency and reliability in low power states.
- Surface Type Cover Firmware Update (v. 2.0.1021.0) improving trackpad reliability and system stability.
- Surface Accessory Device (v. 2.0.1012.0) helping the on-screen keyboard (OSK) appear and disappear at the correct times.
- Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth (v. 15.68.3042.79) enhancing system stability, reducing power consumption in low power states, and improving some WiFi connection scenarios.
Microsoft also announced that a second firmware update for the Surface Pro 3 will be released on July 16 "to further improve Wi-Fi connection and throughput scenarios."
The Surface Pro 2 gets just one minor update today
- Wireless Network Controller (v 14.69.24054.176) enables functionality on wireless networks utilizing hidden SSIDs
The Surface Pro gets a rather detailed firmware update for July:
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.84.0350) improves battery management when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Pro UEFI (v1.6.350) provides support for PXE boot with the new Surface Ethernet Adapter.
- Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 (v10.18.10.3496) improves Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability.
- Intel(R) Display Audio (v6.16.00.3135) enhances compatibility and improves the display experience for DisplayPort monitors.
- Surface Accessory Device (v1.0.338.0) improves the experience when using Surface accessories.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware update (v1.0.339.0) improves the experience when using Surface Power Cover.
While the regular Surface 2 tablet won't get an update, owners of the LTE version do have to download some new firmware for one issue:
- Modem Firmware Update (v5.706.306.1) enhances the performance and reliability of AT&T 4G LTE network on Surface 2 4G LTE.
Finally, even the Surface RT gets an update today:
- Surface Home Button Driver (v220.127.116.11) enhances system stability in both the active state and the sleep/wake transition state.
What do you think of Microsoft offering new firmware updates for most of its Surface tablets?
Source: Surface History page
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Review: Halo 3 on PC is exactly what you were looking for
Halo 3 has been exclusive to the Xbox series of consoles for 13 years, but that all changes now that the game has been released on PC through the Master Chief Collection. But how does the port hold up? Here's our full review.
Outlook nets a bunch of time-saving features across all platforms
Microsoft announced a whole bunch of new features headed to Outlook across all platforms today. The one thing they all have in common? Helping you save time and (hopefully) create a better work-life balance.
Review: This Secretlab gaming chair is a must-have for Cyberpunk 2077 fans
If you've ever looked for a gaming chair or tuned into a Twitch steam, chances are you've come across a Sectrelab chair. These are exceptionally comfortable chairs and the company teamed up with CD Projekt RED to launch a Cyberpunk 2077 Edition. Here's our review.
Accessorize your Surface Book with these great laptop bags
Your Surface Book is a serious investment so you want to keep it safe while out and about with a great bag. These are some worthy options whether you're on a budget, looking for something stylish, a frequent traveller or a little bit of everything.