Windows 10 preview build 19628 rolls out to Fast ring Insiders
It's time to refresh Windows Update, Insiders.
What you need to know
- Windows 10 build 19628 is now available for Insiders on the Fast ring.
- This release brings a single fix, one test feature, and some known issues.
- Insiders enrolled in the Fast ring can pick up build 19628 via Windows Update now.
Microsoft shipped another new Windows 10 preview build for Insiders on the Fast ring today. This release pushes the build number up to version 19628, and it includes a single fixe. There's also a new feature in testing for DNS over HTTPS, which will keep Windows' DNS queries encrypted.
There are also several known issues with this build. Here's a look at everything that's new.
What's new and fixed in build 19628
- We're adding initial support for DNS over HTTPS, so that you can opt into using encryption when Windows makes DNS queries. Follow the instructions in this blog post to opt in as it will be off by default.
- We've fixed an issue causing some devices fail to update with error code 0xc0000409. If you continue to experience this error, please let us know by filing new feedback in Feedback Hub.
- We're aware Narrator and NVDA users that seek the latest release of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium may experience some difficulty when navigating and reading certain web content. Narrator, NVDA and the Edge teams are aware of these issues. Users of legacy Microsoft Edge will not be affected. NVAccess has released a NVDA 2019.3 that resolves the known issue with Edge.
- We're looking into reports of the update process hanging for extended periods of time when attempting to install a new build.
- We're working on fixing an issue for a future Insider Preview build where in Settings > Privacy the Documents and Downloads sections show a broken icon next to their page name (just a rectangle).
- We're looking into reports of IIS configuration being set to default after taking a new build. You will need to back up your IIS configuration and restore it after the new build is installed successfully.
- We're looking into reports that taskbar preview thumbnails aren't rendering consistently (showing a blank area).
If you're already enrolled in the Windows 10 Fast ring, this build is available now via Windows Update. For more on this release, you can also check out Microsoft's full blog post.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the former Editor-in-Chief of Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl.