What you need to know
- XSplit is working on a tool for capturing screenshots and recordings of the desktop.
- The app lets you annotate or add a voiceover to captured content.
- XSplit Capture is currently in beta testing and recently received an update.
XSplit is a well-known company when it comes to sharing content from a PC. Many game streamers rely on XSplit's software to broadcast. Now, XSplit is working on a tool for sharing screenshots and screen recordings. It's called XSplit Capture, and it's in beta testing right now.
In an FAQ page for XSplit Capture, the company explains that it has used an internal version of the app for 10 years. When you take a screenshot or record a video with XSplit Capture, the app creates a hyperlink that lets you easily share your content. This makes it easy to share files quickly.
XSplit Capture also allows you to add annotations and voice recordings to photos and videos.
The beta version of XSplit Capture is free. The company explains that it will likely create a free product and an enhanced paid version when the app comes out of beta. The paid version of XSplit Capture will come with the existing XSplit Premium Bundle subscription.
The first private beta release of XSplit Capture rolled out on October 19, 2021. Since then, it's received a few updates, including one on November 20, 2021 that brought the app to version 18.104.22.168x.
Here's everything that rolled out with XSplit Capture Beta version 1.0.2111.200x and its known issues:
Major Open Issues
- [Mac] Capture only supports video recording on primary monitor
- [Mac] Capture UI does not work if a window on desktop is in full screen
- [Mac] Moving between virtual desktops while capture action bar is open is not supported
- [Win] Settings option "Startup when system starts" is not working for users who are updating from previous versions.
- [Mac][Win] High memory usage
- Fixed: [Mac][Win] Videos uploaded with latest version of Capture may show a black screen before the play is activated
- Fixed: [Mac] Settings option "Startup when system starts" is not working
- Fixed: [Mac] Annotations stops working after working the first
- Fixed: [Win] Some special characters are blocked by Capture's hotkey functions
- Fixed: [Mac][Win] Audio is corrupted on Pause / Resume recording
- Fixed: [Mac][Win] Enabling "Show capture frame and action bar in recordings" does not take effect immediately
You can try out XSplit Capture Beta for free on either Windows or macOS.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.