Despite a polarizing reaction at release, Sea of Thieves quickly garnered a sizeable userbase, crossing two million unique players in its first 48 hours. With that growth comes growing pains, however, and developer Rare has been consistently pushing out patches to correct lingering bugs and balance issues.
Today, Rare released its latest patch, ticking the game up to version 1.0.3 and bringing a number of fixes with it. Among the major updates are weapon balancing tweaks for the Blunderbuss and Eye of Reach, along with adjustments to sensitivity when aiming down sights on PC. Players will also now have access to a message from the Ferryman on their ship, instructing them on how to scuttle their ship.
Of course, there are a load of bug fixes and performance improvements, along with a lengthy list of known issues as well. Here's a full look at the release notes for Sea of Thieves version 1.0.3:
- Message from Beyond - A message from the Ferryman has been nailed to the door post on the Ferry of the Damned instructing players on how to scuttle their ship.
- Weapon Balancing - Reduced Blunderbuss Damage and Increased Eye of Reach damage.
- [PC Only] Aim Down Sights Sensitivity - We've increased the default mouse sensitivity to allow for more efficient aiming and to be in parity with the controller, as we heard your feedback regarding how mouse-mats around the world were being worn out due to how painfully slow it was to aim down the sights.
- [PC Only] Mouse Binds - We've added mouse scroll up and down to the list of controls players can use to rebind actions to.
- Enabling 'non-directional' chat no longer allows non-crew players to be heard anywhere in the world.
- Players should no longer get into a state where they can no longer equip a second weapon.
- We have corrected an issue with players receiving very little warning of a server shutdown. Players should now receive a minimum warning of 30 minutes for a server shut down.
- In response to reports of poor ping times in South America, we have now deployed >- Sea Of Thieves to a South American data centre.
- Multiple server and client crash fixes.
- Trading Companies now have limited voyage stock that refreshes at 6am every day (in-game time). This limited voyage stock is currently not explained during purchasing.
- Some players cannot see their downloadable content in game.
- Once you redeem your code, here is a Support Article that shows you where to find your items in game. If you still cannot find your items in game, please raise a support ticket to log this issue.
- Players may experience details of their pirate (such as hair colour / scars) looking different from their initial selection.
- We are still working on a fix for this. This was discussed in our Launch Update article written by Executive Producer, Joe Neate.
- Bounty quest skeleton waves sometimes spawn in the ground or cannot be found at all.
- Improvements to spawning have been made in this update, and we are working to resolve the issue for all islands. For a potential work around, please read this Support article.
- Pirates can be migrated to another server after completing a Skeleton Fort, and sailing away with the Vault Key. After migration, they will find that the vault is empty upon their return.
- We are working on a fix. A short term solution is to not sail away from the Skeleton Fort when you have the Vault Key.
- [PC] Push to talk option will reset to default (disabled) between sessions.
- Message from Beyond on the Ghost Ship isn't translated to other languages.
Patch 1.0.3 is available now for both Xbox One and Windows 10, and it weighs in at around 1.20GB in size.
If you haven't jumped into Sea of Thieves yet, the game is available for $59.99 or as part of Microsoft's monthly Xbox Game Pass subscription for $9.99 per month.
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the Editor in Chief for Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl. Got a hot tip? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any news on when they will release their roadmap?
Holy cow this game is the definition of missed opportunity. My two week free trial was more than enough to get my fill. I only lasted 9 days actually.
They had better get some content out for this fast while its still a fresh release or I fear for Rare's survival. I have not used my 2 week trial yet and waiting to do so..
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.