Can you use an Xbox One controller (or a PlayStation 4 controller) on a Nintendo Switch? The answer is yes! But you'll need to use an adapter. In this guide, we'll go through how to use the Mayflash Magic NS Bluetooth USB adapter for Nintendo Switch, allowing you to use Xbox One S Bluetooth controllers and PS4 controllers.
Products used in this guide
- Get your adapter: Mayflash Magic NS (From $20 at Amazon)
- Quality controller: Xbox One S Bluetooth controller ($60 at Microsoft)
- Console: Nintendo Switch (From $200 at Amazon)
Prepare the Mayflash Magic NS on Nintendo Switch
First, plug in the Mayflash Magic NS into one of the Switch's USB ports.
- Note: You can also connect it to the bottom of the Nintendo Switch in portable mode using the included dongle.
- On your Switch, navigate to the settings menu at the bottom of the home screen.
Go down to Controllers and sensors and enable Pro Controller Wired Communication.
- Go back and now select Change Grip/Order.
Make sure that your Nintendo Switch joycons are mapped into one controller by pressing down on both triggers, as seen here.
These steps seem to help the Mayflash Magic NS circumvent some issues with pairing.
How to use a Bluetooth Xbox One controller on Nintendo Switch
Press and hold the button on top of the Mayflash Magic NS for 5-ish seconds to swap it between modes. The Xbox controller seems to work best when the light is purple in Nintendo Switch Pro controller mode.
- Tap the button to put it into pairing mode. It will flash rapidly.
Press and hold the pairing button on your Xbox controller until the Xbox logo light flashes rapidly in pairing mode.
- When the lights are solid, you should be ready to play! Use the notes in the Mayflash Magic NS box for an overview of the button mapping.
Our top equipment picks
This is the gear you need to get set up with an Xbox controller on Nintendo Switch.
Xbox control on Switch
The Mayflash Magic NS allows you to quickly and easily set up third-party controllers on a Nintendo Switch, circumventing the need to purchase an expensive Nintendo Switch Pro controller.
Best on the market
Cheaper than the Nintendo Pro controller, the Xbox One controller is widely regarded as the best in the world, supporting Xbox One consoles and PC, as well as mobile devices via Bluetooth.
Nintendo fun in a small package.
The Nintendo Switch is the world's fastest-growing gaming platform, with maximum portability and a vast range of high-quality titles in a fun-sized package.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Best Xbox Game Pass games for Xbox One
Pick up the best Xbox One games included with an Xbox Game Pass subscription.
Complete list of Xbox One Dolby Atmos games
These are all Xbox One games with baked-in Dolby Atmos support so far.
The best motherboards for an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
There's a wide range of AM4 motherboards available for your AMD Ryzen 5 2600, so I've rounded up a few of my favorites.