Can you use an Xbox One, Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S controller (or a PlayStation 4 controller) on a Nintendo Switch? The answer is yes! But you'll need to use an affordable USB adapter from Mayflash. In this guide, we'll go through how to use the Mayflash Magic NS 2 Bluetooth USB adapter for Nintendo Switch, allowing you to use Xbox Bluetooth controllers and PS4 controllers.
Prepare the Mayflash Magic NS 2 on Nintendo Switch
- First, plug in the Mayflash Magic NS into one of the Switch's USB ports.
- Note: You can also connect it to the bottom of the Nintendo Switch in portable mode using the included dongle.
- On your Switch, navigate to the System Settings menu at the bottom of the home screen.
- Go down to Controllers and Sensors and enable Pro Controller Wired Communication.
- Go back and now select Change Grip/Order.
- Make sure that your Nintendo Switch Joy-Con controllers are mapped into one controller by pressing down on both triggers, as seen here.
These steps seem to help the Mayflash Magic NS circumvent some issues with pairing.
How to use a Bluetooth Xbox controller on Nintendo Switch
- Press and hold the button on top of the Mayflash Magic NS for 5-ish seconds to swap it between modes. The Xbox controller seems to work best when the light is purple in the Nintendo Switch Pro controller mode.
- Tap the button to put it into pairing mode. It will flash rapidly.
- Press and hold the pairing button on your Xbox controller until the Xbox logo light flashes rapidly in pairing mode.
- When the lights are solid, you should be ready to play! Use the notes in the Mayflash Magic NS box for an overview of the button mapping.
Our top equipment picks
This is the gear you need to get set up with an Xbox controller on Nintendo Switch.
Mayflash Magic NS 2
Works like magic
The Mayflash Magic NS allows you to quickly and easily set up third-party controllers on a Nintendo Switch, circumventing the need to purchase an expensive Nintendo Switch Pro controller.
Xbox Series X/S controller
Cheaper than the Nintendo Pro controller, the Xbox One controller is widely regarded as the best in the world, supporting Xbox One consoles and PC, as well as mobile devices via Bluetooth.
Nintendo fun in a small package
The Nintendo Switch is the world's fastest-growing gaming platform, with maximum portability and a vast range of high-quality titles in a fun-sized package.
Jez Corden is a Senior Editor for Windows Central, focusing primarily on all things Xbox and gaming. Jez is known for breaking exclusive news and analysis as relates to the Microsoft ecosystem while being powered by caffeine. Follow on Twitter @JezCorden and listen to his Xbox Two podcast, all about, you guessed it, Xbox!
Get the best of Windows Central in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.