Microsoft Edge Dev channel adds translation for selected text, more
You can also automatically skip translation on specific websites altogether.
What you need to know
- The Microsoft Edge Dev channel picked up another weekly update today.
- This update adds notable new translation features.
- The update is rolling out now as version 87.0.658.0.
A fresh update is rolling out for testers on the Microsoft Edge Dev channel. This latest weekly update includes a few new features of note. The highlight is new translation features, including the ability to translate specific text selected on a page.
Here's a look at the release notes posted by Microsoft:
- Added the ability to translate selected text on a page.
- Added the ability to never translate a particular site.
- Added a management policy to Configure Speech Recognition. Note that updates to documentation and administrative templates are still needed.
- Obsoleted the management policy to Enable Deprecated Web Platform Features.
- Fixed an issue where opening Edge sometimes causes the device to bluescreen.
- Fixed an issue where opening the Downloads management page sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a crash when opening a website installed as an app.
- Fixed a crash when Password Monitor shows an alert.
- Fixed an issue where using certain accessibility features like Narrator sometimes causes tabs to crash on certain versions of Windows 10.
- Fixed an issue where dragging items into a Collection sometimes crashes the Collections pane.
- Fixed an issue where Edge sometimes opens many command prompt windows with ERROR: file_io_win.cc(180).
- Temporarily disabled the cards that appear when hovering the mouse over tabs.
- Fixed an issue where there is sometimes blank space between tabs or between the new tab button and the last tab.
- Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes doesn't start reading from the current location in PDFs.
- Fixed an issue where the profile image on the Taskbar shortcut doesn't match the image in the browser.
- Fixed an issue where searching on the History management page sometimes doesn't work.
- Fixed an issue where using Guided Switch opens an additional new tab.
- Fixed an issue where Guided Switch sometimes is triggered for popup windows.
- Fixed an issue where text selected in PDFs sometimes doesn't unselect when it should.
- Fixed an issue where keyboard shortcuts registered by extensions sometimes don't work.
If you're already using the Microsoft Edge Dev channel, this update is available to download now. You can manually download it by checking the "About Microsoft Edge" portion of the settings menu. Otherwise, the Microsoft Edge Beta, Dev, and Canary channels are available to download at the official Microsoft Edge Insider site.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Dan Thorp-Lancaster is the former Editor-in-Chief of Windows Central. He began working with Windows Central, Android Central, and iMore as a news writer in 2014 and is obsessed with tech of all sorts. You can follow Dan on Twitter @DthorpL and Instagram @heyitsdtl.