There's a lot going on in the world of Windows Phone. So much, in fact, that it is sometimes tough to catch every important story.
Device rumors come and go. New apps join the Windows Phone Store, and your favorite app can get a big update with a new look or new features.
Therefore, every week we will compile a list of the Windows Phone news that you just shouldn't miss. Welcome to the "Windows Phone Weekly Digest."
1. Windows Phone
There was some encouraging news this week regarding Windows 10 Mobile. The latest numbers from AdDuplex shows that the fledgling OS is now on 4.7 percent of all Windows Phones. The number is up almost one and a half percent from last month, which likely means that more and more people are reaping the benefits of the Insider Preview Program.
Phone manufacturer Yezz now says its Billy 4 Windows Phone won't get the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade. The company cited the 4GB of memory as the reason for the decision. However, being that Microsoft's official requirement for Windows 10 Mobile is just 4GB, the reasoning seems strange. Yezz does plan on releasing other Windows 10 Mobile phones in the future though details are scarce.
BLU, on the other hand, confirmed that their Win HD will be updated to Windows 10 Mobile. There's still no word on their smaller budget phone, the Win JR, will get it.
Some alleged leaked internal slides made their way out revealing more about Lumia 550. If accurate, the budget Lumia 550 will look close to what we expected:
- HD 5-inch screen with Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Qualcomm 1Ghz Snapdragon Quad-Core (presumably would be 210).
- Rear 5-megapixel camera with autofocus and LED Flash Geotagging +.
- Front 2-megapixel camera (no mention of an LED flash)
- 8GB internal storage + 1 GB of RAM 128Gb + Micro-SD
- 1905 mAh battery with rapid charger
The two significant bits are the lack of the front-facing flash, which was shown on early prototypes, and the inclusion of Qualcomm's new rapid charging.
Similar internal slides also seemed to confirm everything we thought we knew about the flagship Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL.
We'll find out for sure on October 6.
Other notable items:
- Windows 10 Mobile nabs 'Insider Fast configuration update'
- How to use one-handed mode in Windows 10 Mobile
- Microsoft's plans to target businesses for Lumias revealed in new documents
- Mysterious Windows 10 Mobile Lumia with 720p display spotted by AdDuplex
- Microsoft's Windows Phone may not be popular, but it is persistent even in 2015
- Microsoft has posted some Windows 10 form factor and hardware recommendations
In app news, VLC media player for Windows Phone has reached 3 million downloads. That is an astounding number, so congratulations to them.
Windows Phone super-dev, Rudy Huyn, said that 6tin is slated to become his first universal Windows 10 app. Next in line looks to be his Instagram client 6tag.
We also took a look at Brilli Wallpaper Changer, a universal Windows 10 app that automatically changes your desktop, Start screen, and lockscreen pictures.
As for updates, Microsoft appeared to be busy tightening up a bunch of their apps. Extras + Info was updated with compatibility for Windows 10 Mobile.
The entire Office mobile suite of apps was also updated for Windows 10 Mobile, though it appears to be minor. Outlook Email and Calendar for Windows 10 Mobile and Insidersalso picked up an inconsequential update.
Likewise, the Microsoft Photos app for Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile saw a minor bump, while OneDrive on Windows 10 Mobile picked up a new sort function.
Other notable items:
- Rudy Huyn pulls TVShow app temporarily from Windows Phone Store
- Insteon still working on a Hub for Windows update, but no ETA just yet
- Fly Delta app for Windows Phone gets a surprise update
- Facebook Beta for Windows Phone snags a minor update
- All India Radio, India's public radio broadcaster, arrives on Windows Phone
- Runtastic Me app update adds support for Runtastic Moment smartwatch
- Latest Swarm update brings back leaderboards so you can compete against friends
- Snag a free copy of fanband from the Windows Store through the Fanshare Promotion
- Meme Generator Suite – Today's AdDuplex HERO App
- Snapdeal speeds up checkout time with latest Windows Phone update
- Slack (Beta) update brings support for file uploads, bug fixes
- MobiKwik gets another quick update with new features and bug fixes
- Plex updated for Windows and Windows Phone with bug fixes -Fhotoroom for Windows Phone updated - new community tags, search feature and more in tow
- Ireland's Ulster Bank releases official app for Windows Phone
The ever-busy team at Game Troopers released The Last Door for Windows Phone and Windows. It's an 8-bit horror story, originally developed by The GameKitchen. The Last Door was also released on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android.
Top Gear: Extreme Parking sped its way onto Windows Phone.
EA Sports updated their FIFA Companion for Windows Phone with FIFA 16 support.
And we save the weirdest for last. Sheep Dreams Are Made of This is a nightmarish platformer, where you play a stuck in somebody's crazy dream. Sheep Dreams Are Made of This is an impressive mix of great design and originality.
Other notable items:
- Route Z - Road Rage meets the Undead
- Pet Vet Doctor from Nutty Apps is today's AdDuplex HERO App
- LINE CubeHeroes - An epic match-three Windows Phone game
- Soppy's Adventure makes a splash as today's myAppFree Deal
- Cricket fans, rejoice World Cricket Championship 2 is here!
- Imperia Online for Windows Phone update adds battle simulator and improved tutorial
Be sure to weigh in on this week's news in the comments section. See you next week!