What you need to know
- PowerToys version 0.43.0 is now avaialble.
- The update brings a long list of bug fixes and improvements.
- PowerToys Run now has an improved launch experience when first opened.
Microsoft's PowerToys recently received an update to version 0.43.0. The update doesn't bring any major new features but includes several bug fixes and a list of changes. The latest version of the app includes new minimum zone size limits for FancyZones and some new confirmation dialogues. It also improves the launch performance of the app when first opened.
Here's everything that's new from the PowerToys GitHub page:
- Changed tooltip text for systray icon to be on a single line for Windows 11 compatibility.
- Fixed escape behavior on Color Picker so that only the fly-out is closed if active.
- Changed URI PowerToys Run plugin to launch HTTPS by default instead of HTTP. Thanks @chrisharris333!
- Added confirmation dialog when system commands are executed from PowerToys Run. Thanks @chrisharris333!
- New UI for sizes list view in Image Resizer settings. Thanks @niels9001!
- Fixed FileInUse errors during install/update scenarios.
- Fixed toggle switches on PowerToys run settings to display correctly.
- Fixed header text not updating when theme color is changed. Thanks @niels9001!
- Added Name/Alt text to GIF image
- Expanded the Report Bug tool to collect more robust diagnostic information.
- Fixed screen reader functionality to stop announcing hidden text in settings.
- Added Name and alt text properties to GIF images in Welcome to PowerToys window
- Fixed bug when right-clicking menu of Awake app icon. Thanks @dend!
- Fixed high CPU usage for timed keep awake. Thanks @dend!
- Fixed Awake icon spamming notification tray. Thanks @dend!
- Added telemetry to collect Awake settings and logs.
- Removed private Unicode Chars in element Name properties.
- No Class names in Name properties.
- Added non-null bounding rectangle property.
- Fixed color shade numbering for screen reader.
- Fixed focusable elements to have non-null name property.
- Distingushed name property and LocalizedControlType from elements and their parent.
- ControlType and LocalizedControlType are no longer both set to Custom.
- Fixed screen reader incorrectly naming Color Picker when launched.
- Fixed screen reader not announcing colors when navigating.
- Fixed bug causing multi-monitor spanning errors.
- Added minimum zone size limit to the settings.
- Fixed issue where re-opened windows don't appear in previously assigned zone.
- Fixed excluded apps setting to save on text change instead of when leaving focus.
- Fixed corrupt/outdated plugins load crash.
- Fixed issue with FancyZones not working after computer goes to sleep.
- Added screen reader confirmation to canvas editor when new zones are added.
- Fixed screen reader usage bugs to increase intuitiveness.
- Fixed crashing bug due to missing image file app.dark.png.
- Fixed URI plugin bug with handling numeric input. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
- Improved launch performance of PowerToys run on first call. Thanks @davidegiacometti!
None of these features are groundbreaking on their own, but they add up to an overall improved experience.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Sean Endicott brings nearly a decade of experience covering Microsoft and Windows news to Windows Central. He joined our team in 2017 as an app reviewer and now heads up our day-to-day news coverage. If you have a news tip or an app to review, hit him up at firstname.lastname@example.org.