What you need to know
- A new Microsoft Edge Dev build is now available for testers.
- This week's build contains changes from last week's canceled release in addition to some new features.
- The update is available as Microsoft Edge version 78.0.262.0.
Microsoft delayed its regular weekly Microsoft Edge Dev channel release last week, but it's pushing forward with a new release today. This latest release pushes the build number up to 78.0.262.0 and includes all of the changes planned for last week's release, plus a couple of newer features.
One of the biggest features added in this release is Collections. Collections first hit the Canary channel a couple of weeks ago and the feature lets you build out collections of everything from web links to photos and snippets of text. The feature gives you a single place to gather information for planning trips, building out wish lists, and more.
Here's a full look at what's new and fixed in the latest update. Note that all of the features and fixes that weren't in last week's planned build release are labeled with "NEW":
- Collections is now available in the Dev Channel!
- Added a button on the address bar to access favorites, as requested by you: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Top-feedback-summary-for-August-29/m-p/829765.
- Added support for Windows 10's native Share functionality.
- Enabled the built-in abusive ad blocker that was added to Chromium last year (for more information, see https://blog.chromium.org/2018/11/further-protections-from-harmful-ad.html).
- Added the ability to export Collections to Word.
- Added a management policy to use two separate site lists for IE mode and standalone IE instead of having them share the same list.
- Enabled caret browsing in IE mode windows.
- NEW: To try to prevent scenarios where the browser launches but no webpages will load, it will now attempt to de-elevate itself when it detects that it's running with administrative privileges.
- NEW: Added UI to communicate that data cleared via Clear Browsing Data will also delete that data on other devices signed in with the same account.
- NEW: Added a management policy to go to an intranet site for a single word typed into the address bar instead of initiating a search.
- Fixed some issues where the browser is unable to load any webpages.
- Fixed an issue where two-finger scrolling on the trackpad sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the browser crashes shortly after launching.
- Fixed an issue where Edge will crash on startup when used in certain languages.
- Fixed an issue where the browser will crash on Mac when signed in with a work or school account.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix videos don't play due to a "Missing Component" with error code M7354.
- Fixed an issue where installing extensions from the Microsoft Edge extension store failed with the error "Package is invalid: CRX_REQUIRED_PROOF_MISSING".
- Fixed a crash when opening an Application Guard window.
- Fixed an issue where webpages won't load in an Application Guard window.
- Fixed an issue where Tracking Prevention causes some websites to fail to load properly.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to navigate forward/back using the swipe gesture in situations where navigation isn't possible leads to broken scrolling.
- Fixed an issue where the Read Aloud bar sometimes disappears unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where two-finger scrolling on the trackpad occasionally stops working.
- Fixed an issue where the first run experience doesn't properly import data on older versions of Windows.
- Improved the success rate of data importing from other browsers.
- NEW: Improved reliability of Application Guard startup.
- NEW: Improved the success rate of importing data from Chrome.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where extensions were unable to be installed from the Microsoft Edge extension store due to a CRX_REQUIRED_PROOF_MISSING error.
- NEW: Fixed a crash during the first run experience.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where opening an IE mode tab sometimes leads to subsequent IE mode tabs that are opened after the first one crashing upon navigation.
- NEW: Fixed a crash when using Collections.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where websites sometimes hang when loading.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes after a webpage navigates somewhere.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes fail to load properly.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where attempting to delete multiple favorites or history items sometimes failed.
- Improved the contrast between active and inactive tabs and windows for better visibility.
- Fixed an issue where the wrong search provider keyword sometimes appears in the address bar when multiple search providers are installed.
- Fixed an issue where downloaded files sometimes aren't able to be deleted from the pop-up downloads UI.
- Fixed an issue where the link to go to the site permissions Settings page from the Apps page context menu doesn't work on Mac.
- Fixed an issue where the Global Media Controls button that came from upstream Chromium is present even when there are no tabs with media on them.
- Fixed an issue where the … menu in some Settings pages (for example, site permissions) opens offscreen.
- Fixed an issue where the PDF toolbar sometimes doesn't appear.
- Changed the Administrator Mode popup to show in fewer scenarios.
- Fixed an issue where the dialog to restart the browser due to diagnostic data settings changes appears multiple times during a single browsing session.
- Fixed an issue where the active tab upon startup is sometimes a pinned tab instead of a new tab.
- Fixed an issue where images sometimes don't get saved when exporting a Collection.
- Fixed an issue where images weren't properly rendering in saved Collections.
- Fixed an issue where first-run options are shown that don't apply to the current user.
- Fixed an issue where search engines changed by extensions aren't properly shown in the address bar dropdown.
- Fixed an issue where shortcuts to IE mode sites couldn't be created on the Taskbar.
- Fixed an issue where the download UI isn't properly shown in an IE mode tab.
- Fixed an issue where using multiple IE mode tabs in a single session sometimes leads to all the IE mode tabs after the first one not persisting settings set in the first one.
- Fixed an issue where the Find on Page search box is too small for certain window sizes.
- Updated UI in the F12 Dev Tools to properly show Edge's UA string instead of a generic placeholder.
- Fixed an issue where some strings in the F12 Dev Tools weren't localized.
- Fixed an issue where using the F12 Dev Tools in some languages displays everything in English instead of the selected language.
- Fixed an issue where profile pictures for work/school account users sometimes are missing.
- Fixed an issue where adding and deleting profiles sometimes leads to an extra profile being left over.
- Fixed an issue where the API to determine if Windows is in S mode returns the wrong value.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where the default search provider doesn't change when the browser is changed to a language from a region that uses a different default search provider than the current one.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where the feedback screenshot editor's crop tool doesn't work with touch.
- NEW: Improved the number of places single sign-on can be used.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where resizing a window with an IE mode tab sometimes doesn't resize the IE mode tab's content properly.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where pages are unnecessarily re-translated if the translate popup is dismissed without changing any of the settings.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where the indicator to show that a page has been translated doesn't appear during any of the subsequent translations if a page is translated multiple times.
- NEW: Fixed some inconsistent wording in the popup that appears when an update is available to install.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where feedback was unexpectedly getting submitted when the enter keyboard key is pressed anywhere on the feedback submission dialog.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where dragging products from certain websites into a collection sometimes results in some of the data not getting added to the collection.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where dragging an item into a collection sometimes breaks the ability to select items in that collection.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where reordering multiple items in a collection also reordered items that weren't intended to be reordered.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where images from a collection sometimes don't render properly when sharing them via email.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where highlighting text in PDFs sometimes doesn't work properly.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where favorites icons weren't appearing on the favorites management page.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where the window color sometimes doesn't change when it loses focus.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where tab titles are sometimes hard to read on inactive windows.
- NEW: Fixed an issue where hovering over the tab close button shows an improperly sized button.
If you're already testing the Microsoft Edge Dev channel, you can grab this build as an update now. For everyone else, you can download and start testing the latest Microsoft Edge Beta, Dev, or Canary builds from the Edge Insider site now.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Need a laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port? Every PC here deserves a look.
Looking for a new laptop that has Thunderbolt 3 ports? Well, you're in luck, as we've rounded up what we think are the best Thunderbolt 3 enabled laptops available to buy today.
Windows 10 build 19546 arrives for Fast ring with graphing calculator
Microsoft pushed out another new Windows 10 Preview build for Windows Insiders on the Fast ring today. This build brings the build number up to 19546, and it includes a new graphing mode for the Calculator app.
Microsoft's ambitious climate plan aims to go carbon negative by 2030
Microsoft outlined an ambitious climate plan to go carbon negative in all of its operations by 2030. Further, the company plans to eliminate its entire historical carbon footprint by 2050 and has set up a $1 billion climate innovation fund.
Make the most of your Surface Pen and Slim Pen with these awesome apps
To really maximize the ability of the Surface Pen and Slim Pen, there are some essential apps you should check out. We've rounded up the best right here for a variety of purposes.