What you need to know
- State of Decay 2 is a third-person survival game from Xbox Game Studios.
- The game keeps on getting new content through updates.
- Today, the team released The Bounty Broker Update on all platforms.
- You can access the game through Xbox Game Pass (opens in new tab).
Many months ago, State of Decay 2 launched to mixed reviews around the world. The game was praised for its deep survival mechanics, but the fact that it exhibited frame rate issues even on Xbox One X, and suffered from numerous glitches, was a cause for concern. Undead Labs released a patch a few weeks later which fixed a lot of problems, but certain issues still remain. Surprisingly, this hasn't stopped the title from being enjoyed by countless gamers.
State of Decay 2 is a co-op multiplayer game which forces you to survive in the wake of a zombie apocalypse. Players have to work together, build bases, and form communities if they wish to survive in this hostile land. You can currently purchase the title at various retailers starting at $30, or play it with your $10 a month Xbox Game Pass subscription.
Today, the developer launched The Bounty Broker Update for all platforms. Not only does it add new weapons, but it brings with it a number of quality-of-life improvements. The Bounty Broker Update introduces new mechanics for earning gear and much more. You can read about the most significant tweaks below.
- Large reductions to load times and to the size of the game in storage.
- Improvements to dodging, using items, and targeting.
- The Bounty Broker is a new character who provides you with a straightforward way to try out new gear.
- Talk to him to see a catalog of available gear and the bounties you must complete to earn it.
- Killing zombies with explosives now grants a small amount of experience towards certain skills.
- Fixed several achievements that the game was failing to award progress for.
You can check out the complete patch notes here.
The update should be available later today at no cost. It's great to see that even after all this time, the team is committed to improving the game. Additionally, we can't wait to see what the future holds for the franchise given the fact that Undead Labs is now a part of Xbox Game Studios.
Best of the best
Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold in one
Xbox Game Pass gives you access to over a hundred games for one monthly fee. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate also adds Xbox Live Gold to the package so you can play online with your friends. Right now, you can purchase a three-month subscription for $45 through Amazon.
Xbox accessories you'll love
Every one of these quality accessories is guaranteed to enhance your Xbox experience.
PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller for Xbox One (opens in new tab) ($20 at Amazon)
PowerA's take on the Xbox One controller is an attractive pickup for budget-conscious gamers that nails all the basics.
Talon PDP Xbox media remote (opens in new tab) ($20 at Amazon)
The Talon PDP Xbox media remote is great for watching shows on your console.
Xbox One S vertical stand (opens in new tab) ($10 at Amazon)
Stand your console upright with this accessory.
Asher Madan handles gaming news for Windows Central. Before joining Windows Central in 2017, Asher worked for a number of different gaming outlets. He has a background in medical science and is passionate about all forms of entertainment, cooking, and antiquing.
This is a really fun game that I wish I could play more of. It's deep enough, and it delivers the promise of a tense, survival-based zombie apocalypse experience. Recommended, worth trying.
Thank you for signing up to Windows Central. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.