Vivino (www.vivino.com) is the go-to wine app and service for those who enjoy fine grape potables after a long day of work. It's very popular on iOS and Android because it allows you to use the camera as a scanner to log your collection, including ratings, tips and reviews. That information can then be shared on their network or posted to your Twitter or Facebook. It's similar to Untappd but instead of beer it's for wine.
So why talk about Vivino now? Because in the coming week, give or take a day, the app is getting a significant makeover for Windows Phone 8 and 8.1. Vivino is on Windows Phone 7 already, as we covered the app's release back in February 2011. Unfortunately, the app has had no further updates and like an un-picked grape, it slowly went sour. But that's about to change.
The team behind Vivino though is back and re-invigorated by the recent traction of Windows Phone, and, as a result, they have a whole new app that is in the final stages of preparation. Vivino Wine Scanner is not a web app, but a natively written, fully functional Windows Phone 8 offering with a working camera scanner to log those bottles with ease. I've been running the beta for a few days now and can give the app high marks for design and functionality, including:
- Snap a photo, recognize and save wines. We manually identify the few wines not immediately recognized
- Simple and straightforward - find all you want about wines, prices or ratings
- Add wines to your Wish List to ensure great future experiences - and know where to buy which wines with our Nearby function
- Get personalized recommendations based on your taste
- Connect with your friends via Facebook, Twitter, Gmail or Contacts and be inspired by their wine experiences.
- Browse wines, ratings and reviews from more than 4.5 million users
- Like and comment on their ratings
- Scan offline, we keep your image and resume when you are connected
- Upload old pictures from your photo album and store on your wine list. Know when to drink by adding a Drinking Window to your wines
The app is smooth with a clean design, including some neat transition and animations as you scroll. Vivino also has a paid 'PRO' option via an in-app purchase that will unlock
- PRO: Simple cellar management with My Cellar: Log the wines you own, sort them by price, rating or date and add notes.
- PRO: Get in the Fast Track for manual matching - it really is a fast track.
- PRO: Support Vivino, so we can keep improving the app. Your help is much appreciated.
Vivino is yet another high profile app returning to Windows Phone 8, and I'm super excited about its return. Wine lovers need a good cataloging and recommendation app for Windows Phone, and the team behind have Vivino have, in my opinion, delivered.
Stay tuned as I'll tell you when the app goes live, but as previously mentioned, it's in the final stages of preparation (as some of you beta testers are aware). For now, you can check out our screenshots and get those wine glasses ready.
So who's looking forward to this app's reappearance? Sound off in comments.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Daniel Rubino is the Editor-in-chief of Windows Central, head reviewer, podcast co-host, and analyst. He has been covering Microsoft since 2007 when this site was called WMExperts (and later Windows Phone Central). His interests include Windows, laptops, next-gen computing, and for some reason, watches. Before all this tech stuff, he worked on a Ph.D. in linguistics, watched people sleep (for medical purposes!), and ran the projectors at movie theaters because it was fun.