In an effort to save innocent data everywhere, an initiative known as World Backup Day was started. The mission is simple: raise awareness of data loss, and have people worldwide back up their files and folders on March 31.
Data loss, when experienced first-hand, can be frustrating, devastating or even heartbreaking, depending on what you lost. Those vacation photos? Forgotten. Your novel five years in the making? Better start writing that prologue again. Important files from work? Start planning how you'll break it to the boss.
To avoid painful scenarios, all you have to do is back up your data. Yes, it's one more thing to do in an already busy day, but it's an invaluable step that can save you time in the future.
Windows Central takes data loss and backup procedures very seriously, and we created quite a few guides on creating proper backups in a wide range of scenarios.
General backup information
- Six easy and effective ways to back up your PC
- How to use Windows 10 File History to back up data
- How to back up your photos on Windows 10
- How to back up data in Outlook 2016 for Windows
- Best external hard drives
Hard drive imaging and cloning
- Hard drive imaging vs. cloning: What's the difference?
- How to make an image backup with Windows 10
- How to create an image of your hard drive using Macrium Reflect
- How to clone your hard drive using Macrium Reflect
Using a NAS for backups
- Why you should buy a NAS
- Everything you need to know to build your own NAS
- Three hard drives that pair perfectly with any NAS
- Best NAS for your home
Using cloud services
- How to make sure data you store in the cloud stays secure
- How to encrypt data before storing it in the cloud (and why you should)
- How to sync Windows 10 files with OneDrive
- Best Online Backup Service
Are you celebrating World Backup Day?
Have you been looking forward to World Backup Day to finally take the steps needed to safeguard your data, or are you already on top of things? (Did you even know there was a World Backup Day before you read this post?) Be sure to let us know in the comments.
Should you get an XPS 13 or XPS 15?
Have your heart set on a new Dell XPS laptop but not sure which one to go for? Let us help as we break down some of the key points to consider.
Think you know ALL Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts? Find out in our full list
In this guide, we'll list all the best keyboard shortcuts that you can use to better navigate and utilize Windows 10 on your desktop PC or laptop.
Microsoft brings Android OS development for Surface Duo in-house
Microsoft is forming a team internally under the Microsoft Devices division that will handle the development of Android for Surface Duo going forward. Up until now, Microsoft had contracted the OS work out to third-party vendors such as Movial, who had the expertise required to bring Android to life on Surface Duo. Now, Microsoft is bringing that work in-house.
10 must-have apps for any new PC
You just purchased a new PC and set it up, and now you're looking for some great apps. Look no further. These are the best apps for your new Windows 10 PC.