There's a lot going on in the world of Windows Phone. So much, in fact, that it is sometimes tough to catch every important story.
Device rumors come and go. New apps join the Windows Phone Store, and your favorite app can get a big update with a new look or new features.
Therefore, every week we will compile a list of the Windows Phone news that you just shouldn't miss. Welcome to the "Windows Mobile Weekly Digest."
1. Windows Mobile
Windows 10 Mobile build 10586.242 went live for Release Preview ring users. The cumulative update fixed some SD card reader issues, tweaked Dalight Savings settings, and added some other minor improvements.
Acer's Liquid M330 officially launched in the U.S. this week. The Windows 10 Mobile phone is available at Microsoft Store's and will set you back an extremely reasonable $99.99.
An exchange that took place on the User Voice forums for the Universal Windows Platform confirmed that Microsoft is working on bringing GATT support to Windows 10 Mobile. GATT Server APIs are vital for getting devices to receive notifications from wearable devices, such as Fitbit fitness trackers.
In an email to Microsoft executives and partners, Terry Myerson confirmed that the company is "committed'" to Windows 10 Mobile for "many years". In no uncertain terms, Myerson said:
"Let me be very clear: We are committed to deliver Windows 10 on mobile devices with small screen running ARM processors. We are currently in development of our next generation products and I wanted to reconfirm our commitment to Windows 10 Mobile."
Two huge signs of the their commitment to the platform are due out next year. Both the long-rumored Surface Phone and a massive Redstone 2 update are set to launch in April 2017
Other notable items:
- VAIO Phone Biz with Windows 10 Mobile finally goes on sale in Japan
- Free Lumia 950 deal with Lumia 950 XL purchase now live in the US too
- Purchase the Lumia 950 XL and get a Lumia 950 for free in Canada
- BLU Win HD LTE may have been added to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview program
- Mozo Wood Wireless Charging Back Covers up for preorder for Lumia 950 and 950 XL
- How to use Cortana to find and ring your phone
- Japan-based Cathay to launch ARP XC01Q phone with Windows 10 Mobile
- New AdDuplex report shows Windows 10 Mobile on the rise, Lumia 535 most popular phone
- Travelling with Continuum: When the stars (and ports) don't align
The Instagram beta for Windows 10 Mobile, which had previously been hidden in the Store, made itself known to the world earlier this week. If that wasn't good enough news for potential downloaders, the app later went official, shedding the beta label, when Facebook debuted some other official apps for Windows 10 for PC and Mobile.
Another big name app that landed on Windows 10 was FOX Sports Go the universal Windows 10 app for PC and Mobile lets you watch live sports and programs from the popular network.
The crew over at WindowsBlogItalia got their hands on a download of the Microsoft Health app for Windows 10 PCs. Hopefully that means that a wide release of the fitness companion is right around the corner.
And three cheers for Skype, who hit a major milestone this week. The messaging app reached 1 billion downloads of their mobile app.
Other notable items:
- Latest Tweeten beta adds classic TweetDeck Like and RT icons and more
- Today's AdDuplex HERO App, Money Lover, helps you meet your financial goals
- Facebook beta for Windows 10 Mobile snags another minor update
- SHAREit adds ConnectPC and scan it feature to Windows 10 Mobile
- Readit for Windows 10 adds new image features, moderator mail and more
- Transform into the Walking Dead with Zombify, today's myAppFree Windows Phone Deal
- AccuWeather app updated for Windows 10 with new video content
- Giffgaff's new universal app for Windows 10 is taking shape
- Trakter now lets you post reviews and spoilers right from the app
- Facebook for Windows 10 Mobile gets a small update
- Life360 ends support for its Windows Phone family location app
The snowy sensation known as Ski Safari 2 gently fell into the Windows Store as a universal app for PC and Mobile. The game features four 3D scenes: Penguin Peaks, Jurassic Lark, Twister Canyon and Monster Mountain and a slew of fun props and equipment.
Game Troopers released Los Aliens, a sci-fi puzzle game for Windows 10 PC and Mobile. There are two different gameplay modes and 170 levels to tease your brain.
Another space-themed game that dropped this week was Out There: Ω. Available on both PC and Mobile, Out There is a deep-space exploration game with over 350 adventures that can earn you more than 50 achievements.
Gameloft updated their online fantasy game Siegefall, adding three new characters: Geru Ashenfang, Luxeros, and Fenris.
And finally, Marvel: Avengers Alliance 2 was updated as well, now making it compatible with Windows 10 Mobile.
Other notable items:
- OpenTyrian, a punchy retro Sci-Fi shooter for Windows Phone
- Go on a groovy side-scrolling adventure in Jetpack Disco Mouse for Windows 10
- Crack the code and beat the clock with Bernoulli for Windows 10 Mobile
- Take command of the battle with Tap Tap Legions, today's AdDuplex HERO App
- Froggy and the Pesticide, an environmentally friendly Windows game
- Age of Cavemen, prehistoric domination for Windows 10
Be sure to weigh in on this week's news in the comments section. See you next week!