How to change user account type using User Accounts
To set an account to Standard user or Administrator type using User Accounts (netplwiz), use these steps:
- Open Start.
- Search for netplwiz and click the top result to open the "User Accounts" experience.
- Select the account that you wish to change.
- Click the Properties button.
- Click the Group Membership tab.
- Select the Standard user or Administrator account type depending on your requirements.Quick tip: You can also select the Other membership option, which allows you to choose different user groups, such as Power Users, Backup Operators, Remote Desktop Users, etc.
- Click the Apply button.
- Click the OK button.
- Click the Apply button again.
- Click the OK button again.
Once you complete the steps, restart the device to apply the changes and start using the new account type on Windows 10.
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
Mauro Huculak is technical writer for WindowsCentral.com. His primary focus is to write comprehensive how-tos to help users get the most out of Windows 10 and its many related technologies. He has an IT background with professional certifications from Microsoft, Cisco, and CompTIA, and he's a recognized member of the Microsoft MVP community.