Windows Phone Weekly Digest: October 18, 2015
There's a lot going on in the world of Windows Phone. So much, in fact, that it is sometimes tough to catch every important story. Device rumors come and go. New apps join the Windows Phone Store, and your favorite app can get a big update with a new look or new features.
Therefore, every week we will compile a list of the Windows Phone news that you just shouldn't miss. Welcome to the "Windows Phone Weekly Digest."
Fast Ring Windows Insiders finally got a new preview build of Windows 10 Mobile. Build 10549 added diverse emoji, messaging improvements, and more Cortana support for countries outside the US.
The update brought with it the usual fixes, however, there is one significant bug that remains. Build 10549 has a bug with Cortana occasionally creating a high amount of background activity.
Be sure to check out our hands-on video.
Acer announced that their upcoming Jade Primo smartphone with Windows 10 Mobile will ship with a keyboard, mouse and dock so users can hit the ground running with Continuum. We also got a glimpse of the Jade Primo in action, showing off its wireless Continuum feature.
Reports surfaced that Verizon is blocking unlocked Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL phones from their network. There is no technical issue preventing the Lumias from running on Verizon's network, but rather a refusal on the carrier's part to authenticate the phones.
And file this one under "better late than never." AT&T is finally rolling out the Denim update for its Lumia 830.
Other notable items:
- Vodafone confirms plans to sell Lumia 950 and 550 in UK, EE to sell Lumia 950
- Mozo's cool looking leather Lumia 950 and 950 XL cases to cost €48.50
- Amazon Germany offers free wireless charging pad and 32GB microSD card for Lumia 950 and 950 XL pre-orders
- Microsoft outs new DT-904 wireless charger
- VAIO among Japanese companies planning to release Windows 10 Mobile phones
- Microsoft confirms it has no plans to make first-party cases for Lumia 950 or 950 XL
- Here's a look at several upcoming Japanese Windows 10 Mobile phones
- Microsoft talks Lumia 950 and 950 XL camera prowess
- Lumia 950 XL demo phones have reportedly been pulled from all Microsoft Stores
- New render of Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL for Windows 10 Mobile leaked
TuneIn Premium announced a deal with the NFL that will bring a ton of NFL content to subscribers. The deal adds play-by-play feeds for all NFL teams, select NFL network programming, and a seven-hour Sunday show dedicated to football analysis.
WhatsApp was updated with improved search and new in-app notification sounds. Truecaller for Windows 10 Mobile got a major overhaul. The new version not only sports a sharp new design but brings enhanced call blocking, caller ID, call history and more.
The maker of the popular messaging app Nimbuzz has decided to end development of its Windows Phone app in favor of focusing on Android and iOS.
And finally, people spoke, and Microsoft listened. Due to popular demand, Groove Music picked up gapless audio for Windows 10 Mobile.
Other notable items:
- Plex updates its Windows and Windows Phone app with new features and fixes
- Microsoft Messaging for Windows 10 Mobile gets a minor update
- Notes 4U, a simple note taking app for Windows Phone is today's AdDuplex HERO App
- Microsoft Photos updated on Windows 10 Mobile and desktop
- VLC for Windows Phone updated with 'force landscape mode' setting
- Windows Camera and Calculator get minor updates as Movies & TV snags transparent controls
- Outlook Mail grabs a small update for Windows 10 Mobile
- HERE Drive+ for Windows Phone get updated with bug fixes and improvements
- Windows Phone runs on Dunkin' with DunkinWP
- HDFC Bank app gets updated for better bill payment experience
- Lumia Camera, OneNote and OneDrive get updated on the Windows Store
- Microsoft's upcoming Android Dialer app for India reportedly coming to Windows Phone
- HERE Maps and HERE City Lens get small updates for Windows Phone
- Lumia ReFocus app updated to remove online sharing feature
- Facebook Beta for Windows Phone updated to version 10.0 with new settings, more
- FB Pages Manager for Windows Phone updated with News Feed support and more
- Outlook Groups update for Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile adds user profile page and more
High-speed racer Asphalt 8: Airborne got suped-up this week, adding 100 new car mastery events and rewards, as well as the first of six new cars, the Lamborghini Huracán. The Bentley EXP10 Speed 6 and four other cars will be "progressively released."
The ever-busy folks over at Game Troopers teased a mystery RPG for Windows Phone earlier in the week. They have subsequently introduced Elements: Epic Heroes as said new title.
Halo fans finally got to enjoy the Halo Channel app Windows Phone 8.1. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Halo companion is available for Windows 10 Mobile yet.
Make it Rain got an update that lets you "die" and leave your money to a relative, restarting your game with a pile of cash.
And Trivial Pursuit & Friends is coming to Windows Phone on Oct. 22. You can bet we'll give you a look at the new quiz game.
Other notable items:
- Night Hunt, a retro inspired endless hunter Windows Phone game
- GeoBalance, a deceptively tricky Windows Phone puzzle game
- Eras of Alchemy is today's Windows Phone myAppFree Deal
- Prismatica, a colorful puzzle game for Windows Phone and Windows 10
- Challenge your Geography skills with GeoQuiz, today's AdDuplex HERO App
- CSI: Slots – a casino styled mystery game for Windows Phone and Windows 10
Be sure to weigh in on this week's news in the comments section. See you next week!
Get the Windows Central Newsletter
All the latest news, reviews, and guides for Windows and Xbox diehards.
By Jez Corden
PS- I don't wanna do hard reset because then I won't be able to download the speech language.. Posted via the Windows Central App for Android