Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) has established itself in the VR world with both budget-friendly and premium options from various manufacturers. The platform's integration with SteamVR has only expanded the selection of games, apps, and experiences already found in the Microsoft Store, offering up an overall impressive library. Whether you recently got your hands on a WMR headset or you already have some experience under your belt, this guide aims to provide you with recommendations, suggestions, and help with the emerging VR platform.
Meet Windows Mixed Reality
Major PC manufacturers including Acer, ASUS, Dell, HP, Lenovo, and Samsung have WMR headsets for sale at different price points, but no matter which one you choose the base experience is going to be the same. If you're thinking that it might be right for you, check out these articles to help you get to know the platform.
- What exactly is Microsoft's Windows Mixed Reality?
- 5 things you (really) need to know about Windows Mixed Reality
- The Oculus Quest is what Windows Mixed Reality should have been
- How Windows Mixed Reality motion controllers compare to the competition
- What's the difference between Augmented Reality and Mixed Reality?
- Do you need motion controllers for Windows Mixed Reality?
- What is Windows Mixed Reality Ultra?
- Windows Mixed Reality minimum PC requirements
- The arcade may be the foothold Windows Mixed Reality needs
What to buy and where to buy it
Convinced you want to get in on what WMR has to offer, but don't know where to start? We've kept up with the best WMR headsets, accessories, and PCs to power the experience to help you get precisely what you need.
- Best Windows Mixed Reality Headsets in 2020
- 7 essential Windows Mixed Reality VR accessories under $20
- Best Desktop PCs for VR in 2020
- Best Laptops for VR in 2020
- Samsung HMD Odyssey+ vs. HTC Vive Pro: Which headset should you buy?
- Samsung HMD Odyssey+ vs. Oculus Rift S: Which headset should you buy?
- Where's the best place to buy Samsung's HMD Odyssey+ WMR headset?
- Best Stands for your Windows Mixed Reality Headset in 2020
- HP Reverb headset review: Windows Mixed Reality meets higher resolution
- Lenovo Explorer review: A great entry point to Windows Mixed Reality
How to get everything set up for Windows Mixed Reality
Now that you have a WMR headset and a PC to run it, it's time to get started! Use these links to get everything set up quickly and properly.
- New to Windows Mixed Reality? Here's how to get started!
- How to set up your Windows Mixed Reality headset
- How to set up your Windows Mixed Reality playspace
- How to turn Windows Mixed Reality motion controllers on and off
- How to connect Windows Mixed Reality motion controllers
- You can finally add rechargeable batteries to your Windows Mixed Reality controllers
- How to use an Xbox One controller with Windows Mixed Reality
- A look at Windows Mixed Reality's two different setup modes
- How to personalize the Windows Mixed Reality Cliff House
- How to stream Windows Mixed Reality on Twitch and Mixer
- How to use a desktop microphone with Windows Mixed Reality
- The new best way to get your VR cable up off the floor
- How to use supersampling with Windows Mixed Reality
- Can you extend Windows Mixed Reality cables?
Games, apps, and experiences for Windows Mixed Reality
There are plenty of games and experiences available in the Microsoft Store, and Steam's enormous library of VR content also has plenty of titles compatible with WMR. We're here to help you sort the great from the not-so-great content.
- Best Windows Mixed Reality Games 2020
- Here's everything you can do in Windows Mixed Reality right now
- How to use SteamVR with Windows Mixed Reality
- How to play Oculus Rift games on Windows Mixed Reality
- Cyberlink Power Media Player MR puts YouTube 360-degree video on Mixed Reality
- How to use the Epic Games Store for VR games
- How to use custom environments in Windows Mixed Reality
Troubleshooting Windows Mixed Reality
Even the best systems experience issues, and WMR is no different. Luckily, most items can be taken care of quickly and easily. If you're experiencing problems with WMR, be sure to check out these links for help.
- How to calibrate your Windows Mixed Reality headset display
- How to check Windows Mixed Reality motion controller battery level
- How to fix the most common Windows Mixed Reality problems
- How to fix SteamVR games running poorly in Windows Mixed Reality
- How to fix SteamVR compositor errors in Windows Mixed Reality
- How to fix SteamVR crashes in Windows Mixed Reality
- How to ensure the best VR performance from your PC
- How to fix motion controller tracking loss in Windows Mixed Reality
Should you get an XPS 13 or XPS 15?
Have your heart set on a new Dell XPS laptop but not sure which one to go for? Let us help as we break down some of the key points to consider.
Think you know ALL Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts? Find out in our full list
In this guide, we'll list all the best keyboard shortcuts that you can use to better navigate and utilize Windows 10 on your desktop PC or laptop.
Microsoft brings Android OS development for Surface Duo in-house
Microsoft is forming a team internally under the Microsoft Devices division that will handle the development of Android for Surface Duo going forward. Up until now, Microsoft had contracted the OS work out to third-party vendors such as Movial, who had the expertise required to bring Android to life on Surface Duo. Now, Microsoft is bringing that work in-house.
Up your VR immersion level with a fine HOTAS controller
Love flight or dogfighting games in VR? You could probably benefit from on of these HOTAS controllers. We've rounded up options for casual users and pros alike.