Every weekend, Windows Central livestreams an Xbox One or Steam game for 1-2 hours and gives out free games to the cool people who join us during the stream. It's like a live podcast, only you also get to watch a game while chatting with our awesome readers and viewers. Because learning is fun, we call our show Saturday Game School.
Tonight on Beam, we played Mega Man Legacy Collection, Capcom's collection of six classic action platformers from the NES era. Read on for quick impressions, contest winners, and the full video replay.
Mega Man Legacy Collection
It's easy to forget nowadays, but Mega Man used to be Capcom's premiere franchise. The heroic robot was constructed by Dr. Light and tasked with defeating the evil Robot Masters, fellow robots who were brainwashed by Dr. Wily.
Each time our hero defeated the Robot Master of a level, he gained a new weapon that could be used in subsequent levels. Over time, Mega Man gained allies like his sister Roll, the transforming robot dog Rush, and the equally heroic Proto Man. The games eventually pushed the limits of what the NES could do, with colorful graphics and memorable music and sound effects.
Mega Man Legacy Collection includes the first six Mega Man games, originally released for Nintendo's 8-bit NES console. Enhancements include a number of display and emulation options, save states, and all-new Challenges. These clever remixes of classic stages must be completed within strict time limits, providing a whole new style of challenge.
The Mega Man games feature iconic character designs, a huge variety of stages, enemies, and weapons, and a whole lot of challenge. Grab the Mega Man Legacy Collection for a thrilling slice of videogame history.
We streamed Mega Man Legacy Collection for ~90 minutes. During that time,we gave out a total of 8 game codes:
- 4 for Xbox One
- 4 for Steam
See the contest winners at the end of this story.
How to watch Beam livestreams
We're now streaming on Beam, Microsoft's interactive livestreaming platform. It provides some welcome improvements over Twitch, such as a cleaner website layout, built-in stream interactivity, and extremely low latency.
You can follow our channel at Beam.pro/WindowsCentral. From there, you'll be able to watch the stream and participate in chat directly from any web browser, including the Xbox One and Windows Phone browsers.
To receive email notifications when our Beam streams go live:
- First, follow our channel.
- Now select your profile from the top-right corner of the screen.
- Pick the Account option near the bottom of the menu.
- Go to the Notifications tab.
- Make sure Send me important email updates on the Beam platform is enabled. This option is labeled deceptively, but it's required for all forms of email notifications.
- Click or tap the Email box next to our channel name until a check appears. That's it!
- We highly recommend that you set a recurring alarm on your phone. Our weekend stream always starts at the same time (9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific), so the phone reminder can be very helpful.
Beam does not offer Xbox One or Windows Phone apps yet, so watching from the browser is the only option on Microsoft platforms. But Beam does offer apps on Android and iOS. Yes, that's a strange inequity. Native Xbox and Windows 10 support is coming though, so stick with us!
Want to know what's next for Windows Central's weekend Beam programming? We stream a different game every Saturday (and sometimes Sunday). The stream always starts at the same time: 9pm Eastern (8pm Central, 6pm Pacific, 2am GMT). Over the next few weeks, we'll be streaming the following (schedule not finalized):
- February 11: Neverwinter from Perfect World Entertainment. We'll revisit this vast free to play MMO and give out more premium prizes for Xbox One and PlayStation 4!
- February 18: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero from WayForward. We'll play this gorgeous 2.5d platformer and give out copies for Steam and PlayStation, plus Xbox gift cards!
- February 25: Sniper Elite 4. Check out the latest in Rebellion's renowned series of World War II sniping simulations, and win a copy for Xbox One!
We hope you'll tune in as often as you can! Set a recurring alarm on your phone so you'll always know when it's time for the stream to start.
These winners are ready to take on Dr. Wily and his Robot Masters!
Tonight's prizes provided by Capcom. Thanks also to our stream moderators for keeping the peace and giving away the prizes!